Friday, June 12, 2009

My two cents on Favre

Well, its that time of the year again, three months before the start of football season. This makes it prime season for ESPN to turn into the Brett Favre (un)retirement watch network. Since I've been writing exclusively about sports and being a die-hard Packers fan, I guess that means i'm adding myself to the multitude of voices and opinions regarding this circus.

This retirement speculation has been going on for about five years (give or take). Prior to his first retirement, it felt like nothing more than network-generated speculation.....no harm no foul,they need something to talk about and this was their choice......during these years my take was he'll think it over for the beginning of the postseason, come back and things would be business as usual. My other take on it (which has been proven wrong) is that once he announces his retirement, that would be the end of it.

However, the events of the last two summers has turned the phantom retirement to the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Since the saga of last summer is mostly old news and was shoved down everyone's throat I will skip this part and go on to discuss his current flirtations with joining the Minnesota Vikings.

While I feel non-threatened by his presence on a rival team since he is over the hill and Aaron Rodgers has proven himself to be more effective than Favre currently, speaking solely as a fun there is still is a sense of betrayal.

This was a guy who QBed my favorite team from 4th grade until I graduated from college (and this even though I didn't graduate until I was almost 25)....he won a super bowl and provided many clutch you tube worthy moments along the way.....which is why I can't help but stand in confusion as he seems determined to play for the Vikings.... when he was playing for the Jets, that was one thing...I don't really care if he pursues playing opportunites elsewhere, but when your blatant about playing for and only for one of green bay's arch-rivals thats just not cool.....but hey it's his legacy he's wasting and his alone I just do not see why its worth it...

So thats my two cents on Favre for better or worse.....

No comments:

Post a Comment